So I get out of bed by faith, trusting that He will direct my day, my strength, and that He will help me accomplish what He wants. I start on the huge kitchen mess alone, with some music to accompany me. The music makes me want to dance, just for fun, and it feels good. When was the last time I danced and felt this joy? When I take a break for Facebook, I find a dear daughter's list of thanks-giving. This is vital, I know, this giving of thanks regardless of how I am feeling. Facts matter more than feelings, and the fact is that I am blessed - we all are blessed - with more gifts than we will ever know.
And today, I am thankful for:
209. Hot water for washing those dishes and laundry.
210. A helpful family.
211. A new day.
212. A God who knows how it is.
213. Furnaces! to keep the house warm and cozy when it is cold outside.
214. Warmer than average days for this time of year.
215. Sunshine! Not typical for November.
216. The fact that I am loved by God whether I feel lovable or not.
217. The fact that He can use me whether I feel usable or not.
218. Comfy clothes to work in.
219. The class I am taking, even though it is hard work sometimes.
220. Music for dancing in the kitchen.
221. The thankfulness lists of others, which remind me to give thanks.
When I choose to give thanks, my perspective invariably changes. Dancing in the kitchen helps, too! Joy grows and displaces the negativity that was settled in.
It could be that hormones, lack of sunshine, stress or other things beyond my immediate control contribute to a gloomy outlook, an anticipation of failure... but dancing in the kitchen to the praise music on the radio, and putting my mind on giving thanks... those things lift my perspective and energize my soul for the day.
May your day, too, be filled with thanks and joy!