Monday, October 8, 2012
autumn follows summer
Summer was crazy. Seriously.
We rarely travel. But...
May: trip to Miami for Son's graduation with a degree
June: Gone for a week to convention with husband
July: family reunion on the Fourth
1) Daughter went on her first mission trip, a big deal! --
2) trip to Wyoming to take a son to school for his first year --
and when we got back home,
3) we went camping for a week and a half at the beach! Just what I needed!! Great time! Perfect birthday gift!
September, I was expecting to settle into a routine, but was feeling overwhelmed. The house needed a lot of catch up from being gone most of August. Then the well pump went out and needed to be replaced. Dishes and laundry piled up even more.
One of the Out West daughters got sick. We kept in close touch by phone and facebook, until she finally decided she needed to come home and see a doc who really knew her. It's been good. She is mending. Her plane back home leaves this weekend, and I'm a little anxious that she will be ok once she is back at her own place, looking after her own needs. It's a lot easier when you have nothing to do but sleep and eat what is made for you.
The furnace went out the day she came home. Of course it did. Because life piles up sometimes. between the new well pump and the new furnace, we are going to have to reconfigure some finances. Not sure how that will all work, but such is life, right?!
Also, a dear cousin died very suddenly in an accident on the highway. It was a real shock, and I was so deeply sad for a while. I will miss him, that's for sure! I am so glad for the rest of the cousins, who have all come together for each other is a wonderful way.
So -- life piles up. I have been swamped in a pile of life!
but in it all, I have been thankful for these gifts:
546. time at the beach to be still after a lot of going
547. a school for my son that seems a good fit for him
548. seeing my offspring content in the lives they have chosen
549. birthday cake made just for me by someone who loves me!
551. cousin care by phone
552. being able to laugh at the pile that overwhelms. not always, but when i step back and look, how can I not?
553. truly amazing autumn colors, deeper and more vibrant than other years. such incredible beauty!!
So, as the leaves blaze, and the air gets crisp, and daughter goes back to her own place, I will still expect, at some point, to find that routine that keeps being postponed. We shall see. Life is for living, and if things come up, I will respond in whatever way seems best. Maybe having a routine is nothing more than a pipe dream for me. Life is rich and can't be put into tidy boxes. Not this life, anyway! Still, even if it's only a dream, I'll enjoy dreaming of the day when I have it all together. :-)