It's raining. And cold. And frankly I would like to complain... I'd rather have more warmth, more summer, and some sunshine, thankyouverymuch... but whining won't help.
It is a good time to give thanks. When we least feel like it, giving thanks can help adjust our mind's perspective. Lifting my mind lifts my spirit; helps me get my mind onto a better, more productive path. Otherwise, if I follow the avenue of Whine and Complain, I find myself on a slippery road and I am bound to trip up, slip-sliding into an ugly mess. I can just see me there on the side of the path covered in mud and scratches, wallowing in even more self-pity. I've been there.
Today I choose thanksgiving.
162. Falling asleep to the sound of the rain singing a lullaby outside my bedroom window, as it dances it's own old soft-shoe on the porch roof.
163. Diversity in friendships! How huge a blessing to know people of different faiths, practices, personalities, and views... I learn from them. I love these friends. They enrich me immensely.
164. Maps! Seriously!
165. Panera Coffee, first thing in the morning. Smooth, hot, a little sweet.
166. "Hallelujah anyhow" days. You know, like this one... when you just say Hallelujah anyhow.
167. Opportunities to keep on growing.
168. Not knowing what is coming next. I do not find this one bit comfortable. But I am thanking God for it anyway because He knows what is going on, He cares what happens to me, and I trust Him.
169. Knowing for sure.
170. Seeing a child choose to do the right thing
171. Colors. All of them, everywhere!
172. God's Word - Dependable Truth that fits life.
173. Dresses on hot days. Especially sundresses.
174. Friends getting to start a new adventure! Wow, moving to Alaska to start a new job! That is not your ordinary retirement!
175. Watching the clouds break up outside.
176. Seeing the clouds break up inside myself.
177. The rainbow shine on the back of the cd.
178. Rainbows in parking lots because oil and water don't mix, but when they try, it looks kind of cool.
179. Curly heads
180. Sneaking out for breakfast, or coffee, all alone before the rest of the house is up.
180. Sneaking out for breakfast with husband. :-)
181. Giant, red and white table umbrellas caught by the wind, running off with people running after them!
182. Girl feeling better.
183. Birthday email clubs... lots of freebies coming my way this month!! Fun!
See there... I am feeling better already. Please share your thanksgivings
too, won't you... I'd love to hear them!
PS - And thanks to Anne Voskamp, who reminded me. May your day be full of joy, Anne!
Willow has this quote where I see it often, right down there on the right side of her blog...
Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. ~~ Melody Beattie
What can I say? It really does do all that. Thanks, Willow.