Saturday, January 2, 2010

Hummus Recipe



I figured out a recipe that makes really good hummus! I had made hummus before with a list of ingredients but no amounts, which required me to call in my taste-testers every time to help me determine the needed adjustments. But I think I got it figured out. I took some to a friend's house last night and they loved it as much as I did. So I think I'll share the recipe in case you all want to measure ingredients, too. It makes it so much easier!

Take one can 'banzo beans (chickpeas), mostly drained, and puree them in a food processor till smooth (according to your preference). Add one quarter cup EACH: olive oil, lemon juice (or juice of one lemon), and tahini (sesame paste). Puree 'til blended, scraping sides as needed. Mince three good sized cloves garlic into the hummus, and add salt and pepper to taste. Mix again. If it's too thick, you can add up to a quarter cup of water to make it the way you like it.


When you put this in a container, you can sprinkle a little oil and/or herbs on top to make it look good. I use dried parsley.

You can also vary this recipe by adding something delicious. Pesto hummus is good (add pesto to taste). Roasted red pepper hummus...



only takes a few pieces of canned red pepper to give it a good color and flavor, and I have also had hummus made of black beans in place of the garbanzo beans. It was good and had yet another different look.

Serve with pita chips, crackers, or fresh veggies for dipping.

Seriously... Yum!

2 comments:

  1. You blog is such a peaceful place. Thank you for allowing me to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CTC - Thank you! What a great encouragement you are to me today! -K.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks,I love your comments!