It's just February 3. Yesterday was only the midpoint of winter. And yet I am very happy to announce that I already see birds beginning to return!! It's true! Amazing, isn't it?
Yesterday I heard the sound of cawing in the back yard. Crows are noisy, annoying critters, but they are the very first birds to return from their winter vacations, and therefore I sort of celebrate when I first see them. When that harsh, familiar voice caught my attention, I looked out the window - and sure enough, there was that raucous black bird sitting up in a tree. Wow! I was pretty excited! Birds were returning! I announced this great news to everyone in the house, but they didn't get as excited as I did. Huh. Go figure.
Today was even better... Bluebirds!! Eastern bluebirds are so pretty, with their bright blue backs that shine when the sun hits them just right, and their bright red bellies. Cute little birds. They come back early, too, and bring a certain joy with them. And there they were, playing together in my yard, practically wallowing in happiness, right outside the dining room slider! I wanted to get a picture, but they were gone by the time I got my camera. Still, it is pretty great that the bluebirds are back!
I'm kind of stoked! The birds are starting to come back! Pretty great, don't you think? I just had to tell you.
Today I am appreciating:
52. The first birds to return from their winter travels, whoever they are, harbingers of warmer things to come
53. Bluebirds, little bearers of happiness, bright and cheery, bright blue on top, bright red on the bottom
54. chocolate cookies, crunchy on the edges, chewy in the middle, with seeds mixed all through
55. Drumming with friends
56. Laughing with friends!
57. Winters with plenty of snow to cover the brownness underneath
58. the fact that February has only 28 days
59. Groundhog's day... who ever thought of a holiday for this underground-dwelling mammal?! That's funny!