Saturday, January 3, 2009
Joys and Thank Yous
Years ago, my brother gave me a book called 14,000 Things to be Happy About, or The Happy Book, by Barbara Kipfer. Basically it's a list of... well, I guess that's self evident. 14 thousand of them, though! Pretty cool, I thought. And so I decided to start my own list. I call it "Joys and Thank Yous". These are things that bring me delight and joy. And I thank God for them.
I want to share them with you as I think of them.
Over at www.aholyexperience.com, Ann Voskamp tells of the "Gratitude Community", a group of people who are also making lists of things they are thankful for, one by one. It's fun. I've been doing this for a long time, and it helps me to develop a mindset of thankfulness. You can make a list too, if you like.
Some of these are from before, things I remember from the first list I started, which I can't find. I do hope I find it soon. Not only does it bring me happiness to read, it also reminds me of moments in my life that were special.
1. Nursing a baby to sleep, middle of the night, with the colored Christmas tree lights bathing sweet baby face in a soft glow. (This is one of my most precious memories.)
2. Toddler hands. with dimples at the base of each chubby finger, stretched out like fat little five-pointed stars.
3. A surprise visit from friends
4. Bright yellow leaves dropping from trees like golden coins being tossed down.
5. Finding a four-leaf clover
6. Finding a four-leaf clover patch!
7. A new pair of thick wool socks, cozy, soft and warm.
8. Crystals hanging, sparkling in my kitchen window, casting bright rainbows all over my walls and ceiling when the sun shines in.
9. Long icicles hanging from the roof's edge, sparkling inthe sun, looking very much like winter should look.
10. Home grown tomatoes in the summer.
11. The first snow. The excitement that comes with those first flakes drifting down and turning the ground white.
12. Watching TV with the family in front of a blazing fireplace on a cold night.
13. Home made chili with plenty of garlic and spice to make it healthy - so delicious!
14. Having Husband home.
15. Eggnog. Oh, yeah! With that little sprinkle of nutmeg on top like we always do.
OK, it's a start. Maybe I can list more another day. There is so much around us to be thankful for. If you decide to start your own list, please let me know. It's so much fun to find new things to be happy about!
And also, by the way... I wish I knew how to add more pictures to these posts. Only one per post? There must be something I'm missing.
(pic: The book my brother gave me.)