Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Tiny salad, no dressing
Well, I harvested the first "veggie" of the season!! One little dandelion leaf, just bigger than my thumbnail. It tasted all of life and springtime, a small celebration! I found it growing where a flower was greening up through the brown, one little dandy lurking in among the flower's leaves. I plucked it, rinsed it, and popped it in my mouth. Yum! I do love springtime!
The first - only the very first - dandelion greens of the early spring are not too bitter. They are easy to eat. Later, very soon, they turn strong and, while they are still healthy, they are not as tasty to me. So when I can grab the early baby leaves I love to munch them. Usually I miss the chance, watching for signs of spring when it has begun already right under my nose.
So today that one little leaf was delicious, like ingesting a bit of sunshine. I'm sure so tiny a treat didn't bring much real nutrition but I felt like it was a small victory for me not to miss out on it this year. I am going to be looking for a few more.
Yes, and so I am thankful today for:
81. The first dandelion leaves of the spring, tender and sweet
82. The warming of spring
83. The birds' crazy, wondrous, glorious concert as they each announce the parameters of their own space and set up their apartments
84. Having Miami son here for a visit - we all dearly love having his company.
85. The quietness when sweet young daughter is working on her schoolwork by herself and doesn't need my help at the moment.
86. Seeing the first robin of the spring.